If there is a serious injury or illness, a death or a dangerous incident, you must report it to SafeWork NSW immediately on 13 10 50 as an urgent investigation might be needed.
Incidents can be notified 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You must also:
- provide first aid and make sure the worker gets the right care
- take care not to disturb the incident site until an inspector arrives. You can help an injured person and ensure safety of the site.
- record it in the register of injuries
- notify your insurer within 48 hours
What incidents need to be notified?
A ‘notifiable incident’ under the work health and safety legislation relates to:
- the death of a person
- a serious injury or illness of a person
- a potentially dangerous incident
When you don’t notify
Penalties apply for not notifying incidents. The maximum penalty for failing to notify is $50,000 for a body corporate and $10,000 for an individual.